Thursday 19 February 2015

Oscar Run #2: Whiplash

This movie is great for a lot of reasons. There are a lot of movies that show a protagonist trying to make a career in music, getting antagonised by people that he/she comes across and then with a tremendous talent or will power that refuses to fade, they emerge victorious and shine.

But Whiplash is different, because it is not another sellout to the popular culture and trend of making movies with similar trajectory. The movie doesn't end with the stereotypical cheers from a crowd, or tears of joy, or a family standing behind you proud. It doesn't even have a parallel romantic plot that takes equal prominence. It's just not your everyday mass-manufactured film.

So it isn't a surprise to see Whiplash getting five nominations, out of which three are for the technical and ideological genius behind the screen and only one is for great acting. This is not to say that the work of the actors is secondary. They are every bit of outstanding. However, the subtlety of the movie is what steals the show and that is because of the vision of the people sitting behind the camera.

On a side note, I have to say I could not believe that so many expletives could come together and still qualify as a proper sentence. Really.

What makes it a strong contender to win best movie?

Everything in the movie- genre of music, gigs of the band, screenplay- is very real. I think it works quite well to have chosen jazz music. The film doesn't bore you at any point of time even when the music is not your run-off-the-mill choice. Jazz isn't everyone's cup of tea but the movie makes you keep watching and keep listening. The music and the relentless practice is finely balanced with the struggle and the journey that Neiman makes as a student and as a person. From simply reacting to what's being thrown at him, he learns to act.

The movie's attempt is not to expect an emotional investment from the audience. It instead gives you a great deal to watch, contemplate and then feel blown away. I was glued to the movie and I wasn't particularly sympathizing or empathizing with Neiman. The good bit is that I didn't have to do that and I still loved the movie. The story is a great piece of work without or without my emotional connect. My emotional connect to the movie does not come from the hardships that the boy faced, or despising the cruel attitude of Fletcher. It comes from the extraordinary movie that Whiplash is. Watch it, you'll know what I am talking about.

The movie's editing makes it a decently paced movie which makes it an easy watch. However, I wouldn't place my bets on Whiplash taking the award in this arena.

Sound Effects:

I really like how the music pieces are independent in themselves and make for a such a good element in the movie. While it perfectly blends with the story, it doesn't necessarily change to tell the story itself. Unlike other movies, they don't work to heighten the sense of urgency or anything for that matter. Despite that, the sound goes with you and grows on you.

Is JK Simmons the Best Supporting Actor?

He just may be. The cold and absolutely ruthless character that he portrays may not so much embody the word supporting which makes me laugh a little (the irony in the literal sense of words is extremely funny) but he is a strong omnipresent and ever-present character in the movie. He is meant to never leave you even when he is not on screen and Simmons does that. He is like a haunting presence since the very first time you see him and then he disappears. What I find remarkable about him is how he managed to portray a character that completely bothered and unsettled me, but somehow I never hated him. For me, he was a fascinating puzzle that I couldn't solve and I just had to watch the movie to get a clue.


In the end, I would say that while I would absolutely recommend the movie, I would also admit that it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It has been made with a certain taste of vision, which makes the movie different from your regular watch to the extent of a different set lighting and presentation. If you can appreciate a bit of difference and variation, you would love the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name with the comment! :)
Thanks for reading!