Tuesday 2 October 2012

Politics

Don’t we all hate it enough already? Well, let’s talk about that today. I attend something called the Model United Nations (MUN) conferences. They’re like just another debate competition with different sort of proceedings. In my very first college MUN, I along with many others observed the clear networking politics that people use- to win, to get their first executive board, etc.

As if it wasn’t all, one of my friends started doing the same. And now she’s joined on the hip with some really important people in the MUN circuit. JUST to get ahead. And all this infuriates me. I mean, I know I want to get there, too, someday- The executive board, the best delegate, etc. But for that I’m not using such political ways.


MUNs for me are sacred, if you wanna call it that. I go there for the kind of debate I get to see, the amazing intellectual stimulation, the analysis and reasoning behind it all. There’s a real skill involved in MUNing. And all of this politics just ruins it all for me.

Seeing it so clearly, I feel like I won’t continue doing MUNs from next year. It’s frustrating to go through all this.

And moreover, every big wig in MUN, I quote somebody “has an MUN that he/she endorses”. And in that process, I’ve seen a few people trying to malign the others while they’re at it. They take open digs at their “rival MUNers” and try to show them that they are better. However, they never attend each others’ conferences to really understand who’s doing what better. So, since that leaves no room for improvement or even bitter realization in some cases, these claims of being ‘better ’seem somewhat hollow to me. Competition can happen in the real senses when you really acknowledge the efforts of the other and THEN try to top them! That’s being better with ‘substance’.


However, since I love it so much, I am going to put up a few words of defense for it too. It might have politics, but some people are there because they deserve to be.  Some people make me want o overlook all of this and keep participating. And if not really then at least on the face value of things MUNs acknowledge true talent. Some people ARE arrogant about where they stand today, but they are, indeed, amazing at it. So, more or less, I want to learn. I want to grow. I want to be huge with efforts earnestly put in!
DOESN'T THIS FEEL GRAND?! Ok maybe the settings are not all this grand but i feel this!! =)


Oh and trust me, I want to learn and grow. Proof? I happen to be working for this MUN in unrealistic and really ridiculous circumstances and environment and I’m still sincere about it! (However, I’m planning on giving a good piece of my mind to the person who has been acting ridiculous and making it a painful experience for me!)


*God I’m so sincere, it’s not even funny!

4 comments:

  1. I agree to the notion proposed of propagating honest and unbiased opinion holders within the MUN circuit.
    But I feel compelled to differ on a pertinent aspect of diplomacy, more than the 'knowledge' that one can gain from this circuit, one imbibes the relevance of experience, aura and presence in the world scenario.
    The United Nations is not a 'fair' body of institutions, there is a persistent bias that the body exhibits, I guess the truest message that one should take back from a MUN conference is that of finding their way through the jungle of biased stances and making their place in a world full of hypocrisy.


    With this comment, I take the privilege of being the first person to register his/her comment on this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should take the privilege! Thank you for complimenting the blog :)

      What you said is absolutely right. However, isn't that something that we should change? The UN, as you say, is a biased institution that and as funny as it seems to sound to me, we really ARE imbibing all its traits.

      But since we are the future, shouldn't we try and correct that here and take more ethical values forward with us so that people have one less thing to crib in the coming times about at their workplace (politics)? Wouldn't it be better to really feel the success that comes to us when there was no hypocrisy involved and when it was done with all ethics and no politics?

      Hard work is hard work- might as well be ethical. don't you think?

      Delete
  2. Hard work is hard work indeed, but idealism hardly sustains itself in the real world, we are open to try though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And i would like to try going the idealistic way....! :)

      Delete

Please leave your name with the comment! :)
Thanks for reading!